DAY 45 - MIKE

Today was a day of all sorts of emotions. As the marvellous Mike Seddon was remembered by friends and family. First at his funeral in Hull and then at his favourite spot in Hornsea, eating fish and chips by the sea. 

I was asked to write a tribute by the family which I shared, alongside two others, as we huddled round picnic benches in Hornsea. Mike meant a lot to me. I've known him and Barbara since I first moved to Hull in 2000. So it was an honour to write and read out, as we all shared our grief together. And later agreed that Mike would have no problem with today being one of these Fun Things. And was probably smiling down at us anyway. Happy to see us laughing, and not just crying, as we remembered him. 

When I think of Mike I think of a kind man. A wise man. A funny man. And a friend.

Mike was good to me. Many times over the 20 years I knew him.

When I lived on Longhill and my washing machine broke, flooding the kitchen, he was round in 5 minutes, ready to fix it. Which he did with great skill. And a torrent of jokes to go with it.

When I broke my leg and had to go to a funeral in my hometown in Essex, he offered to drive me there. And back. In a day. Even though he had his own stuff going on at the time. And wasn’t that well himself.

From what I recall it was a really funny journey. And a really therapeutic one too. For both of us. Lots of laughs and wise words too. Mike could be quite the philosopher. And I learnt a lot from hearing about his unique view of the world. Even though I didn’t always agree!

When I lived and worked in Cambodia for a few years, Mike was always interested in what I was up to when I came back from time to time. Loved hearing my stories and insights, chipping in some of his own too.

There were times, when I came back to Hull for good though, when I needed to talk about some of the things I’d seen and experienced in Cambodia. And he just listened. And was fine if I cried. Or not. Was good at just letting me be me. Because, I think, he was so good at being him. No airs or graces. Or pretence. What you saw is what you got with Mike. And I will miss him for that especially.

Finally, perhaps my most precious memory of Mike is him driving me to my wedding. Something he offered to do straight away when Gav and I told him we were getting married. He didn’t miss a beat. Then or on the day. He was just brilliant. Being a great support not just to me but to my Dad who needed some of Mike’s sage words to settle him too.

So glad Mike was there anyway. And so glad to have known him. And had him as a friend.

A kind friend. A wise friend. A funny friend. A one-of-a-kind friend. Never to be forgotten.

Miss you, Mike. Rest in Big Peace.