Day 31 - CATHEDRAL


Today I went for a walk in the woods. Inspired by a chat with a couple of friends just before. About David Attenborough's film: "A Life on Our Planet" currently on Netflix. 

I've not seen it as we don't have Netflix. But people have been saying a lot about it. So I thought I'd catch up a bit by listening to a recent podcast - What Planet Are We On? Ep 1. David Attenborough - ‘We Have To Believe It’s Possible’ - whilst wandering in the Humber Bridge Country Park just up the road. 

I must admit, I've backed off from thinking too much about environmental issues lately. With all the bleakness of the current Covid crisis I've not wanted to consider an even bigger bleakness. For fear of being overwhelmed. But the conversation really convicted me to get my head out of the sand and start listening. 

So today's walk was a wake-up call. And I found the podcast really helpful and inspiring and above all, hopeful. It's something I want to listen to again and take some notes. So no quotes today. But what I can say straight away is WOW.

WOW when I looked up at the trees and saw all the colours and the patterns and the intricate designs. WOW when I saw the roots of a tree defiantly growing into chalkstone. WOW when I saw the squirrel-acrobats flying from branch to branch above me and landing with great aplomb every time. 


It was like my eyes were seeing things fresh and new and suddenly I wanted to worship the Creator of it all. 

And it's been a long time since I felt like that.  

In the trailer for the Netflix film, David Attenborough says: "We're replacing the wild with the tame." And for years that's how I've felt in church. And it's taking getting outside, being in nature, to awaken that part of me that's grown numb and disconnected. And more and more distant from buildings and services and organised worship.

So here's to more walks in cathedral forests. 
And uprisings of worship in wild places.
 Here's to a greater sensitivity to this amazing planet. 
And all that it holds and cares for. 
Here's to wisdom to live well and respectfully. 
And here's to making this a hope-filled, even more beautiful home.