Day 37 - FRIENDSHIP

Here's Ruth. A friend from Cambodia days. Who I've managed to see, at last, after four failed attempts since lockdown. 

We first met over tea and cake in a cafe in Phnom Penh. So it seemed only fitting to head to the nearest tea and cake establishment after meeting up at Stratford-upon-Avon railway station this afternoon. And tuck right in.

I love spending time with Ruth. And I love our friendship. From the get-go we've laughed together, cried together, talked, talked, talked and had many an adventure too. Sometimes you just meet people who feel like home. And she's one of them. I'm just really thankful for her. And that we've been able to meet up at last. Hallelu.

Before writing this post I've just been reading her Story Behind the Still Facebook page. Which I said I'd mention here. And it's been a wonder-full read. Glad I paused to give it thought. And have a look.

I remember when Ruth first talked about it. And her excitement about bringing her two passions together: photography and people’s stories. Since then she’s gone on to get an MA in Multi-Media Journalism, worked as a researcher for the BBC on “The Repair Shop”, been a reporter for a local radio station and a newsreader for Premier Christian Radio. Whilst continuing with Story Behind the Still.

I love the way she sees the world. And takes notice of things. I love the way she holds people’s stories and just wants to celebrate them, whatever twists and turns they take. It’s a real gift. And who knows where it will take her next.

Today though, I just want to celebrate her. Not just for what she’s done but for who she is. And the gift she is to the world. Sometimes we don’t always know the difference we’re making. Or the effect our lives have on others. It’s easy to keep looking to the future, wondering what’s next and what we might/could/should be doing. But it’s not a great time to be doing that. For any of us.

So today is a day to say thank you for Ruth. For her listening ear and sensitive eyes to the world, her courage, kindness, sense of fun and adventure and her vulnerability. Which to me, is her greatest strength. And the thing that most inspires me and helps give me strength to keep on keeping on.