Day 39 - JUMP


So then, here's the before. And then there was the jump. Which, thankfully, didn't end in mishap. But did remind me of a jump I made once as a 9 year old. Or around that age. From a similar place. Which didn't go nearly as well. 

I was always playing in the back fields back then. The ongoing space just beyond our garden gate. Field after field. Lined by ditches and trees. Which were great to play in and on. All year round.

By one of the fields I had a special tree. Which I used to go to, often. It was a bit like this one. Short and sturdy with thick low branches. Perfect for climbing on and resting from the world.

One day I rested a bit too long. And nearly forgot I had to be somewhere. Brownies mebbe. Or the church kids choir practice at Kath Dunstan's. Whichever, I knew I had to get home fast. So I sat up quickly and launched myself to the ground. And promptly did myself a minor injury. 

Something around my ankle cracked. And I screamed. Then cried. Then crawled all the way home.

Whatever was on that night suddenly wasn't. And my ankle, now a purple and black balloon, was raised up on several cushions and surrounded with packets of frozen peas.  
 
I don't think I broke it. I can't remember it being plastered. But I do remember the pain still. And hobbling around for a while. Being cast as a reclining Jesus in Kath Dunstan's latest production. Which involved sitting in a cardboard boat with a panicking crew and raising an arm to calm the clattering storm. 

It was a relief not to have to do much anyway. Just let the others do all the screaming and bashing of pots and pans. At least the pain had some perks.

So today, I jumped with a bit more foresight. And nothing to rush to. And all was well. Thankfully. 

Twas good to remember the 9 year old me though. And re-live the lure of a low hanging tree. To climb on its limbs and rest awhile. And be thankful for a childhood that was so free.