Day 9 - PLEASURE

  

"When I run, I can feel God's pleasure." So said Eric Liddell, the Scottish runner, as depicted in the film, "Chariots of Fire." And in a similar vein, so says my Mum: "When I swim, I can feel God's pleasure."

As I write this, she may well be having a dip off the seafront in East Cowes, Isle of Wight. Where she's joined a group of all-year-round swimmers. Much to her delight. And pleasure.

It's great to hear her talk about it. And even better to actually see her in the water. Her joy is palpable. 

Somehow, however, the swimming gene hasn't quite got to me. I don't mind a dip if it's really sunny. Or a splash about with friends and family. But it's not a quite the Fun Thing it is for Mum. If she were doing this challenge I suspect there'd be quite a few water-based days. 

So today was a day in her honour. A day when me and my friend, Glynis, took off to the beach and took the plunge. And swam in the North Sea. 

Thankfully it was a bright and sunny day with a warm wind. And the sea, not as cold as expected. I hadn't gone thinking I'd enjoy it, to be honest. I just thought it would be a good thing to do whilst the weather's still good and the freedom's still there to do things with friends from other households. Seems we're on the brink of another panic, having popped into Herons on the way and seen near empty shelves of pasta and loo roll, again.

So yep, swimming today felt like a rare and unexpected pleasure. Once I'd got my shoulders in, the water was lovely. And I stayed in for ages. Saying a little prayer for Mum and basking in the peace of it all.

It was indeed, a very fun thing. Which makes me glad of this challenge even more now. That it's not just about doing the obvious things. But discovering, or perhaps rediscovering, unappreciated pleasures as well. 

Me and Glynis gleeful by the sea: