Day 5 - TREASURE


I always get excited seeing sea glass glinting on a beach. Just one piece thrills me. I don't know why. For my brother, it's always been fossils. He has a laser eye for picking out ammonites and molluscs. But for me it's these broken, battered, shattered pieces, smoothed and honed by the sea.

Today was like a spiritual experience anyway, gathering what turned out to be an unexpected haul. I took off to Hessle foreshore, where I've been many a time before, with the hope of finding some. But as soon as I stepped on the shore, there it all was. I hardly had to move. I just bent down and started gathering it in. Loads of the stuff. White glass, green glass, brown and the rare piece of blue. Felt like sea glass heaven!


The beach itself is not impressive. It's muddy and shingly and the bit I was on backs on to an industrial site. So not the most obvious place to stumble upon treasure. 


But it was there, in abundance. And I came home gleeful. Adding about another third to a collection that's taken me nearly 5 years to gather. From some beautiful beaches and with the help of others too (including my fabulous niece who once sent me a parcel of sea glass in the post 😄).

Today's haul in the bowl on the right:
Today's haul in the bowl on the right

So yep, another day to feel encouraged. And appreciate the value of making time for fun. In whatever form it takes. Felt like I'd hit a seam of bounty and blessing today anyway. And I'm still bubbling with gratitude And bursts of hope for things to come.