Day 7 - TRUST

Here's me and my good friend, Vicky, after our mystery cycle ride round Hessle and beyond. A mystery for me anyway as Vicky led the way. A route she'd tried out earlier in the week and wanted to show me.

I've known Vicky for 20 years now. I first met her the other side of an interview desk. In her role as Senior Project Worker at the Mind Crisis Service in Hull. I was there for the post of bank worker. Having moved to Hull earlier that year and still finding my feet.

The interview went OK. I came away regretting some of the answers I gave and wished I'd said more for others, but on the whole thought it hadn't gone too badly. And went home hopeful.

Later that day I got a phone call from Vicky saying I'd got the job! And thus ensued a good couple of years as bank worker with the Mind Crisis team, a full-time job as co-ordinator for a Mind young people's project thereafter, involvement in various creative projects along the way and then to one of my favourite jobs ever as an Outreach Arts Worker at the Mind Arts Centre in Bridlington. All because of that interview.

What I didn't know til some time later was that I nearly didn't get the job. The other person interviewing me didn't think I was up to it. They'd picked up on my shyness and diffidence and had serious doubts whether I'd be able to cope. Or fit in with the team. Vicky, however, thought otherwise and took a punt on me. Trusting that I'd be OK and managing to persuade her colleague to trust her decision. Am so glad she was proved right! And glad to have her as a friend and ally still now. 

So today I had no qualms with Vicky leading the way. And putting my trust in her. As like her in me, I've been proved right to do so many a time.

So here's to friendships. And trust. And the freedom and flourishing it brings. 

And here's to others joining this challenge!! And raising the games over the next few weeks.